7 Low-Cost Design Ideas for Small Retail Spaces
Making the most of a small Retail shop means being strategic about how you design the space and organize your merchandise. Here are seven other simple and affordable ways to maximize a small retail space:
1. Paint an accent wall. Painting one wall a bold colour is an affordable and effective way to not only spice up the space, but also to make it look larger. A bold coloured wall creates the illusion of receding in space. Putting colourfully printed fabric or wallpaper on one of your walls is another way to achieve the same effect, while adding eye-catching textures and patterns to your store.
2. Create window-like effects. Windows can open up a small space and make it seem larger. Create the illusion of windows. Hanging drapes around tall, skinny mirrors is another way to create a window effect. That gives an illusion of more light and movement in a small space.
3. Think vertically. Displaying items on various levels maximizes space and is visually appealing to customers. Hanging shelving at different levels is the easiest way to achieve this effect. You also can mount drapes and other items from the ceiling to the floor to draw the eye up and create the sense of a larger space.
4. Avoid a cluttered look. Aavoid a cluttered look by using neutral colours, such as ivory and grey for furniture and larger items. Highlight the space with smaller brightly coloured items like vases and pillows. Makes sure not to crowd merchandise too closely together. Make it look elegant.
5. Move beyond shelving. Shelving can be a very effective way to make the most of your wall space, but you can also find more creative, space-saving ways to display products. Instead of a big floor case for jewellery and other small items. Arrange an old painting in an ornate frame and stretching the canvas in linen to create a giant corkboard to pin products on. The headboard takes up little space and adds character to the store.
8. Illuminate your space in different ways. Lighting is important in any retail shop, but it's particularly critical in tight quarters. If a corner of your store is not well lit, that square footage is as good as lost. We recommend using a combination of track lights, lamps, sconces and picture lights. This mixture will not only ensure that your entire space is well lit, but it also will add flair and variety. Picture lights are amazing. They give a wonderful glow. Think in terms of layers of light.